07 May, 2011

Art Basel & Hong Kong Fair

MCH Group, the owners of Art Basel and Art Basel Miami Beach, today confirmed that it has bought a 60% stake in Asian Art Fairs, the owner of the Hong Kong fair ArtHK (which opens its fourth edition in three weeks on 26 May), for an undisclosed price. As part of the deal, MCH Group has an option to buy the remaining 40% of Asian Art Fairs by 2014.

The 2012 (Hong Kong) fair will move from its May slot to 2-5 February, fitting in better with the group's other events (Art Basel this year is 15-19 June, less than three weeks after the Hong Kong fair; Art Basel Miami Beach is in early December).

ArtHK's new slot in February will be only a few weeks after Art Stage Singapore (12-15 January 2012). It was launched this year by Lorenzo Rudolf, who directed Art Basel from 1991 to 2000: the proximity of dates may force visitors and exhibitors to choose between the two.

full story

No comments: