12 May, 2008
Marino Marini Museum
The Marino Marini Museum, in the heart of the historical centre of Florence, between via della Vigna Nuova and piazza Santa Maria Novella, is housed in the ancient church of S. Pancrazio, founded before 1000, deconsacrated in 1809 and used for several activities for Down one century. The museum was inaugurated in 1988 after the extensive restoration work directed by the architeots Bruno Sacchi and Lorenzo Papi.
Italian sculptor was born in Pistoia in 1901. He is best knows for his many vigorous sculptures of horses and horsemen, although he has created notable portrait busts, group statues, paintings and drawings. After 1955 he tended toward a more dramatic expression of form. In 1917 he enrolled in the Florence Accademia di Belle Arti where he followed courses in painting taught by Galileo Chini and sculpture by Domenico Trentacoste. These early years of artistic activity in Via degli Artist were mainly devoted to painting and drawing. Marini's first important sculpture, Popolo (in terracotta), was produced in 1929. Marini intensified his output of paintings in the mid 60s. In 1979 a documentation centre for his works wa set up in Pistoia the town in which he was born.